Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hakama Pants

On Tuesday I cut out pieces for the prototype hakama, which I was essentially doing as wrap pants with the outer seams sewn up. Tonight I sewed the bulk of it together, minus the waist band. Overall not bad for a first attempt, but the sewing machine kept having issues that tore the hell out of one pant cuff. I haven't bothered ironing in the front or back pleats, so it's like giant bellbottoms at the moment.

They appear to be about the right size, we'll see after the waist ties are in place. The next one will also be made out of four panels rather than two, so there is more ease with putting in pleats (and possibly sewing them in, too), and putting it all together will be a little more easy as a four panel garment. I'm still not 100% sure how I"m going to handle the waist ties, that is for another sewing night.

No comments: